Thursday, May 01, 2008

Beyond the Scrapbook Page: Dome Bling Ring from Teresa Collins

As a self labeled scrapbooking fashionista (definitely with tongue-in-cheek), I find that a lot of inspiration and creativity comes from beyond the confines of scrapbooking.  I am inspired by design, decor, crafts, nature, etc. and I like to use scrapbooking products to create things other than scrapbook pages.

It's nice when someone else has the same thought. One of the new products to come from Teresa Collins at the last CHA trade show was these clear dome bling rings.  They are clear unadorned acrylic rings that come in sizes 7, 8, and 9. They are the perfect backdrop for adding your own creative embellishments and they make a unique style statement.

 

For my ring, I decided to use rub-ons to embellish the surface of the ring. Since the space to be decorated was small, I had to find some that had tiny images that would work well on the ring.  I found that the Imaginisce Rhinestones & Rub Ons sheets had coordinated designs in varying sizes, and the small sizes would work great on the dome ring - I wanted to preserve the cool effect of the clear ring and be able to see through the ring between the rub-ons - not have the entire surface covered.

To apply the rub-ons, I first cut out the desired designs from the sheet (a larger swirl, and a variety of small flowers and dots).  I found that putting the ring on my finger made it easier to position and apply the rub on so that the designs were placed where I wanted.  Using my fingernail to rub the backing sheet gave me more control in applying the rub-ons than the popsicle stick. I started with the swirl centered on the front, and then applied the flowers and dots all around.  The swirl was definitely the most challenging as it was the largest design, being applied to a contoured surface.  I just went with the flow if there was a mess-up and used some of the flowers and dots to cover up any cracks or imperfections. And here you can see the finished ring being worn:

Well, the ring is cute, but I am painfully reminded of why I am not a hand model.... I don't have the long slender fingers with the perfect nails like one of my girlfriends...I have stubby crafter's hands (which are probably ink stained on the palms)!  All in the name of art, right?

I have successfully test washed my hands with the ring on without losing the design, but in general, I would probably be gentle with it and take it off before doing anything dirty, rough and tumble, or wet.

I love that these rings are so affordable (just $1 each), so you can play and experiment and make lots of different ones. Anything that sticks well to a slick surface should work (Staz-on or alcohol inks, patterned paper adhered to the inside of the ring with diamond glaze, etc.).  The best part is that no one will have one just like yours!

Hope you enjoyed this latest installment of the "Beyond the Scrapbooking Page!"   If any of you have created a ring, I would love to see them!

3 comments:

  1. Loving this ring!! Where did you buy the rings? What section of the store?

    Thanks!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to know where you bought the rings for $1.00? I dont see anywhere on here where you answered???

    Thanks
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I'd like to know where you bought them for $1 as well! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete